Walt Disney World Resort, one of the world’s most visited vacation destinations, generated $40 billion in economic impact across the state and more than a quarter of a million total jobs in fiscal year 2022, according to a new study from Oxford Economics
The study found that Disney, which has fueled Florida’s economy, tourism and small businesses for more than half a century, generated the following across the year:
- $40.3 billion in total statewide economic impact.
- 263,000 direct and indirect jobs – 1 out of every 32 jobs in the state.
- This figure includes Disney’s workforce of 82,000 across the state. Within Central Florida, Disney directly supports 12%, or 1-in-8, of all jobs. For every direct job on-site at Disney, an additional 1.7 jobs are supported across Florida.
- Without Disney’s statewide job impact, Florida’s unemployment would jump from 3% to 5.4%, which would take Florida from the 21st lowest unemployment rate among all 50 states to the second highest unemployment rate in the country.
- Disney revenues and off-site visitor spending contributed to $12.1 billion in total labor income in fiscal year 2022.
- $6.6 billion in tax revenue, including $3.1 billion in annual state and local tax revenue generated by Disney, visitors, employees and third-party businesses – helping to fund local schools, law enforcement, public safety, parks, roadways and more throughout Central Florida.
- 2,500 Florida-based small businesses contracted to supply products and services to Disney World.
- Part of the more than 8,500 small businesses across the country contracted by The Walt Disney Company.
The study, which was commissioned by Disney, also reflects the economic impact of Disney Signature Experiences in Florida, including Disney Vacation Club and Disney Cruise Line. The results are for fiscal year 2022, prior to the Reedy Creek Improvement District becoming the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District with the appointment of a new board.
About Oxford Economics: Oxford Economics is the world’s foremost independent economic advisory firm. Oxford Economics enables intelligent and responsible decision-making through the provision of timely, data-driven economic and business insights and solutions that clients trust.