A new massive 535 acre theme park to be based just outside of London has taken a step closer to fruition with plans for consultation, new reports and local engagement.
The London Resort, dubbed the UK’s answer to Disneyland, is planned to be built on a former cement works in Swanscombe, Kent, just 17 miles from London. The first phase is planned to open in 2024 with the second phase in 2029. The estimated cost of the project is £3.5Bn.
This huge project will be one of the largest construction projects across Europe. Construction is planned to start 2021, transforming some seven million square meters of land. The London Resort when complete will be three times larger than any other UK theme park. The resort is planned to comprise, two theme parks, a water park and an entertainment district.
The London Resort announced on 3 June 2020 that it has taken four significant steps in its preparation to submit proposals later this year.
- Proposals for a ‘late-summer / early autumn’ public consultation including online and ‘virtual’ engagement
- Confirmed submission of a 300-page Environmental Scoping report by 12th June
- Contacted advisors of affected local businesses, setting out terms for the acquisition of land including an additional premium
- Written to the Community Liaison Group to help share information about the project
PY Gerbeau, Chief Executive said:
The team have been immense, working incredibly hard during these awful times. I joined just under a year ago and we are always being asked to hurry up. Well, I am happy to tell you we have made strong progress and these reports are hugely important. This is a significant step in transforming an amazing and ambitious dream into reality.
“We obviously can’t hold a public consultation in the normal way – but we will make sure we reach out to local residents and businesses as well as the wider community and stakeholders. We are talking to Government about how we will be using digital technology, websites, video conferences and online Question and Answer Sessions.
The London Resort is aiming to become one of the largest and immersive experiences in the world with around 70% of its attractions under cover.
Paramount Studios rejoined the project in 2019 and along with partners BBC and ITV studios. It is planned to have rides based on Paramount films, ITV and BBC shows.
According to a Map shown on The London Resort website the park will have 6 themed areas including, The Studio, The Woods, The Kingdom, The Isles, The Jungle and Starport. A high street will run between the areas showcasing retail outlets and restaurants. Also seen on the map is the planned water park.
- UK’s largest theme park and entertainment district
- £3.5Bn Cost
- 535 acres – (equivalent of 136 Wembly Stadiums)
- Construction planned to begin 2021
- 17 minutes from London
- First park set to open 2024
- Second park to open 2029
- 3,500 hotel rooms
- Approximately 70% of attractions will be undercover
- Regeneration of a brownfield site
- Up to 6,300 jobs during construction period
- Over 9,000 jobs at the Entertainment Resort
- Around 2,300 jobs at the Entertainment Resort hotels